Deze website maakt gebruik van cookies. Wij verzoeken u cookies te accepteren. Meer info

Naar de inhoud

The Immigration- and Naturalization Service CN

What does the IND do? 
The Caribbean Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst Caribisch Nederland, hereafter referred to as IND-CN) is responsible for the implementation of the foreign nationals policy on Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba. The IND executes these duties in accordance with the BES Admittance and Deportation Act (Wet Toelating en Uitzetting BES (WTU-BES).

This means that the IND-CN unit processes applications:

  • for the admission of foreign nationals and Dutch citizens (not being island children or tourists) who want to reside on Bonaire;
  • for the extension of a tourist stay;
  • of persons who have been admitted and who want to become a Dutch national.

What does not fall under the responsibility of the IND-CN?

1.      Registration with the Population Affairs department [Burgerzaken]: When a person has been admitted by IND-CN for a period longer than 6 months, this person in principle should register in the Personal Records Database [Basisadministratie persoonsgegevens] of the relevant island. For more information on registration click on:

Bonaire (in Dutch, Enlish version not availabe)



2. Granting of visas: This regards persons who want to visit the Caribbean Netherlands as a tourist but who are subject to a visa requirement because of their nationality.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3. Work permits: Persons who want to live and work in the Caribbean Netherlands and who are not Dutch or American nationals first need a work permit.

Social Affairs and Labor

4. Border protection: On all three islands border protection is called immigration service. However, this has nothing to do with IND-CN.

Royal Netherlands Military Constabulary (Koninklijke Marechaussee – KMar)

5. Border protection: On all three islands border protection is called immigration service. However, this has nothing to do with IND-CN.

Dutch Caribbean Police Force

The process for persons who want to reside in the Caribbean Netherlands is as follows:

PDF fileBrochure RCN/IND (ENG)

Explanatory notes:

1. The Koninklijke Marechaussee is in charge of entry at the border.

2. The Police is in charge of supervision.

3. Those who want to stay longer than three to six months, should go to the IND-CN.

4.Persons who want to live and work on the islands longer than three months need a work permit from the Social Affairs and Labor department [Sociale Zaken en Werkgelegenheid (SZW)]. IND-CN is the SZW's front office.

5. After agreement by the Public Entity (island assessment), SZW approves the work permit and IND-CN subsequently grants the residence permit.

6. After receipt of the residence permit, the person concerned can register with the Public Entity's Population Affairs department.

The person concerned is insured at the Healthcare Insurance Office (Zorgverzekeringskantoor, ZVK).
Kabinetsreactie Spies
Eilandgids Caribisch Nederland (PDF)Blog Rv